Monday, August 17, 2009

Bargaining


Anyone who knows me, even a little, knows that I very rarely talk to God.
But of course there are those times in your life when a conversation with some higher power is strongly recommended, even possibly necessary.
Those are the times when I look at my mom laying in a hospital bed, or sitting in the ER, or going in for tests.

It's like in a movie or some attempt at melodramatic literature when the little girl says, "Please God, don't let Mom die; I'll do anything."
It's like that, but in real life. I feel embarrassed, bargaining with the higher being for a life, something I know I'm not quite in control of, but knowing I asked makes me feel better.
So does making her swear that she won't die, as if death was a choice. Left, death. Right, life. Oh, tempted to go left, but Katie made me promise.

For me it's these strings that tie us to life, that leave us here. Perhaps they remind Death of a purpose, a promise, the people here on Earth who'd struggle immensely if that person were to be whisked away elsewhere.

I made that deal. I've been making that deal since kindergarten.
And today, as I was sobbing in the front seat of the car in a parking lot, I realized that maybe my bargaining paid off. Sort of. I get to keep Mom, but in exchange, I get to understand her fear, no, terror, her pain, her grief, her anxiety, her strength, her courage, her determination. I wallow in my fear. It overtakes me. The one thing that I want so desperately, children, is being dangled in front of me by the vicious pre-cancerous cells, taunting me maliciously on a daily basis. Mom has that too, but in a different form. She has to be taunted by words such as "remission" and "brain tumor" even though they're in the past. They're a constant presence.

I get to keep her, though, and any amount of pain on my part is worth that. I'm not going to be as strong as she is, not yet. I can't even attempt that. But I'll suffer, I'll take all of the bad so that for now I can retain the one person I love more than my own life.

Tomorrow is going to be a hellish day. I'm taking her with me though; we're making a list. Questions to ask. Things that need answered. Now. Not when the results come back. Not a year from now. NOW.

So hopefully G/god is listening. Hopefully this test of endurance is nearing its end. Hopefully I'll look back on this one day with neutral emotions. But that's hope and this is fear.

No comments: