Wednesday, July 07, 2010

I never believed anyone when they told me time would start to fly by as I got older. 
I'll never forget thinking that middle school would last forever, and that high school wouldn't be a time in my life I'd someday look back nostalgically on. 
College didn't even seem endless; it was there and it was done and now it's over and I feel as though it never happened, even though I'm quite sure it did. 
Twenty two is young, I'm constantly reminded of that. But it's not so young that I've not lived a full life, not so young I've not been molded into a wholly unique person. 
Lately, I've been embracing myself, and finding it entirely freeing. Meeting new people, doing new things (please do not judge me for this overly broad statement; cutting bread and putting meat and cheese and condiments on it entirely counts as something new), preparing for great adventures, being generally at ease with the things around me: I'm throwing myself into all of that. 
Not that on the inside I'm not absolutely terrified. Africa for three months? What if life as I know it changes when I return? Of course it will. I will be changed when I return. 

But some things never change. And that might be the best part. 
I'm home. 

Thank you, everyone. I'm here because of you. Not here, here, but here. 

No comments: