Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Woman, sandwich artist, title goes here...

None of us are adults quite yet, we're stuck in that post-collegiate rut where we're still treated like children but expected to act like adults.

We were sitting, drinking Italian sodas, and discussing men. Of course.
"But he doesn't have a job," she said.
I clucked at her appreciatively. Of course we want to date men with jobs.
But then I started thinking.
I'm twenty two. I live at home, split between two homes, actually, and then a little bit in my car. I work at Subway. Does that make me undateable? Probably sort of.
On paper, absolutely.
I'd reject a twenty two year old man-boy who worked at Subway.

I'm not a girl anymore, but I'm still not a woman. Lately, it's been interesting to try and shift my identifying noun from girl to woman. But am I that yet?
I keep thinking in a couple of years I will be a woman. But what defines a woman, really?

Am I worth someone who's anything more than what I am? Do I hurt the reputation of the people I associate with based solely on my current paycheck source? Hardly, but maybe a little.
Is it worse to be unemployed than to work in the worst industry ever created? (Sometimes I think to myself: It could be worse. I could be working at Forever21.)

And am I any less of what I am because of my current occupation?
Yesterday in court during jury selection I had to give my occupation. Somewhat begrudgingly, I said "sandwich artist." Silence, followed by a lot of turning heads and some smiles, possibly muffled laughter. But following that with "Bachelor's degree in communication studies" made me feel a little better. Being the forewoman definitely made me feel better. Authoritative.

Also, on a sidenote, being a traffic prosecutor must absolutely suck. It's a simple open and shut case that never should have gone to trial and some man in a badly tailored suit had to stand up and pretend like it was legitimate. The lines of questioning were uninspired, unintelligent and boring. The defandant was self-represented and even worse. My annoyance at her surpassed my annoyance at the prosecutor, but doing my civic duty wasn't about feelings (of hostility), it was about fact.

I did laugh a little during the selection process when they asked if anyone had been in that room before. I have. I flashed back to that night my senior year of high school, the night I had to go up in front of a magistrate and have my hide tanned (because the words I want to use aren't appropriate) because of that speeding ticket. The big one. I told the judge, prosecutor and defendant that "I made some decisions that necessitated my presence here." Prosecutor asked me if the police officer sitting there was the one who'd pulled me over and I replied, "I certainly hope not."
Somehow I got on the jury.

By the way, jury duty is way less exciting than I thought it would be. I don't want it to happen again. I like the law but I wish it wasn't so repetitive and dumbed down for the masses. It's not a difficult concept, really.
Either way, I'm not any less of an intelligent human being than anyone else, even though I have to wear a stupid uniform and kill my back, knees, legs, brain cells and patience to get through the day.
Here's hoping I survive the amount of disrespect I deal with on a daily basis. Blegh.

No comments: