Wednesday, January 18, 2012

On Ron Paul.



I get made fun of a lot for sometimes really liking Ron Paul. (Emphasis on the "sometimes.")

I really wish he was better at stuff I really care about, like abortion (he thinks it should be up to the states to decide...which sort of pisses me off, but then again, it's not like Colorado is going to go bat-shit crazy and pass any sort of "moment of conception" law any time soon, so I probably don't have to emigrate yet). Again, I personally wouldn't consider abortion but I'm so in love with birth control (which means I'll never need an abortion because I don't have to worry about accidental pregnancy because I've got smart plans in place - not that I'm having sex, of course), and my IUD, and my freedom to take the morning after pill if I need to that I refuse to let that pro-life/pro-choice issue go. My body does not belong to the dude I'm sleeping next to and it most certainly doesn't belong to any of the concerned right-wingers determined to re-instill their own brand of family values all over America. (Side note: all I can think of when I think of the fact that some people want to ban birth control is the thought of having to feed like 7 kids on my current salary and then the eventual prolapse of my woman parts. Sounds like misery and welfare.) 

I will be pro-choice until the day that I die. 

Also, I don't know that you can really deny people health care. I mean, we do a really good job of that anyway. I agree that the system is broken, but I don't know that free-marketing (totally a word now, right?) the healthcare system is the best choice. Meh. However, considering how much time I spend fighting with my own health insurance....

Whatever. For all his crazy, Ron Paul is one consistent man. And right now, we sort of need that. Either that, or Obama should grow a pair and start doing some serious asserting, which I fully support. Be the man, Obama! Tell everyone to shut up and start doing some work!
The yellow highlighting in the story below is all mine. Because that's why I wanted to post this to my blog anyway. Why the hell do more people not agree with this sentiment? 

Seriously, America, wtf? You freak out on Iran for developing nuclear weapons, you invade Iraq under that same pretense, but it's totally cool if we have tons of them stockpiled? Because, wait, the "sole purpose of U.S. nuclear weapons is providing deterrence for itself and its allies." Oh, my bad. I totally forgot how awesome at being hypocrites we are. 

But I digress....


How Crazy is Ron Paul Right Now? Volume I

ron paul 1-17.jpgRon Paul's our favorite non-conformist nutball, even when he gets carried away and starts to non-conform against his own agenda. Sometimes he seems like the only guy in the Republican primary not trying to win Sarah Palin's endorsement; other times it's like he's been up for six days straight, surfing the fringiest corners of the Internet and collecting paranoias. Here, in a recurring feature on Death Race, we parse the Paulisms so you don't have to.
What Ron Paul Said: "If another country does to us what we do to others, we're not going to like it very much. So I would say that maybe we ought to consider a Golden Rule in foreign policy. Don't do to other nations what we don't want happening to us. We endlessly bomb these countries and then we wonder why they get upset with us?"—Jan 16, 2012, at a Republican debate in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Public reaction: Prolonged booing from the audience.
Our take: This is one of the least crazy things that Ron Paul has been booed for. Paul's application of an ancient maxim in lieu of a more nuanced take on international affairs may seem a little obtuse. But it's grounded by about four decades of expensive, ill-fated meddling on behalf of the United States. Also, it's worth remembering that this is the same race in which Rick Santorum has continually declared war on Iran and Rick Perry declared that NATO ally Turkey was run by "Islamic terrorists." So: Sane by comparison!


http://www.gq.com/news-politics/blogs/death-race/2012/01/how-crazy-is-ron-paul-part-i.html#ixzz1jqdNfOpT

Source: GQ

No comments: