Thursday, February 08, 2007

Smut

We have made plans to attend a live taping of the Jerry Springer Show, famous for showcasing the strange on television for millions of viewers. I read a whole article about how daytime television pretends to shelter, but only ends up exploiting the "guests." As of Monday, February 19th at 5:15 pm, I will have been a part of the talk show phenomenon that has left millions of people with lower IQs and expectations.
I'll post pictures soon of the snow. Only a few inches fell, but the lake was beautiful. Still, though, it has not risen above freezing in weeks, and I feel as though when spring comes, my body will need to thaw for days before I reach normal temperature. I've been keeping my room at an unnaturally warm temperature, upwards of 75, and I love it.
I took a study break on Tuesday night and went over to sleep on the couch again with the cat. There's something wonderful about the city of Chicago in the morning, something I have never really appreciated since I do everything in my power to avoid seeing light before noon. Walking back to the train, we pass a busy street. From the relative quiet of the neighborhood, with it's crunching snow and silent houses, to Argyle, with chickens hanging from hooks and the thick smell of Vietnamese food in the air is quite the contradiction, and while waiting for the train, there are times when strains of Mexican music floats up to the tracks. I wish I had words to describe the differences between the definition of "urban" as I know it in Denver and the one that I am experiencing here. The train sways back and forth and comes routinely. The people do too. Cars stop, go, stop, go and honk.
I know nothing about the streets here, so watching the cars is an odd experience for me. On the rare occasion that I am in a car, I find myself in awe of the movement that it has. Funny, because that's one of the things I definitely take for granted at home. Here, however, it is all walking or public transportation, which in itself is an adventure.
I should be reading about the Hindu religion for my next class.

No comments: