Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rant. Do not read if Republican.

http://whynotobama2008.blogspot.com/

Read this.

Ooh, I am so mad.


I understand why someone would want to be for life, but at the same time, why can't you have a right to choose?
I'm totally pro-choice, but if I ever got pregnant, I would never kill my unborn child. There we go. I am pro-family. I can't wait to have one. I'm excited and I hope that my life takes me in that direction. But at the same time, if a woman doesn't want the child to begin with, but is then forced to keep him or her, life isn't going to be a cakewalk for either of them. The foster homes are full of unwanted children, neglected children, children in need of someone to love. Pro-life families reject the ideas about birth control and have, oh, you know, 17 children and think that they are doing God's will. Selfish, much? How is making an already over-populated planet more populated God's will?
Palin talks about being pro-life and about how she lives it out by having a son with Down Syndrome. Down Syndrome is remarkably common; it's not like she has an alien child. I am pro-choice, but if I knew that I was going to give birth to a child with Down Syndrome, I would keep it. Seriously, her keeping that child had nothing to do with that. She was pregnant when she got married to her husband; did you know that? Did you know that 8 months after they got married they had their first child? You preach abstinence only education, but does that work? Does that work for anyone? No. Did it work for Sarah Palin? No. Did it work for her daughter? No. You sit there and praise Bristol for getting married and keeping the baby and "doing the right thing" but isn't that against everything you stand for?

Why are gay-rights so wrong? Are your gay friends any less able to raise a child? NO! Statistics prove that gay couples stay together longer than straight couples do. Look at my own family. I was raised in a heterosexual family and it was obviously a broken one. Perhaps had my parents been lesbians or gay, I would have come from a stable home environment. (not that I don't absolutely love my family, trust me, I wouldn't trade it for the world) Why does it matter to you that gay people shouldn't have children? Are they going to make them gay? Attack of the close-minded thinking. Gays don't hurt church attendance. It's not the gays' fault that the heterosexuals stopped going to church.
I think that's all a load of crap. I'm sorry. I met a boy who is openly gay and a beautiful person, yet he suffered gay bashing at the hands of people who think like you who agree with this do. He was beaten for something that he can't control. He had to have reconstructive surgery on his face and eventually had to move out of his town. Is he any less of a person? Why shouldn't he have a child? It's proven that the children of gay parents are no more likely to be homosexual.
Did you wake up one day and choose to be straight? No. Did he choose to be gay? No. Why would anyone choose to be hated by people who consider themselves to be "correct?"

You're wrong.
I bet you don't look Muslims in the eye either. And before you get mad, think a little harder about that question. I cut out an entire paragraph, because I got really passionate and would have offended most of my readers, but I want you to think about the way that you look at people.
Today, I went downtown with Hunter's video camera and interviewed homeless people. I had to bribe them to do it, but I learned a lot. I bought them all lunch and then me and my group (who helped pitch for lunch) sat down with them and interviewed them. What they had to say was not surprising, but it was touching. As soon as the video is edited, I'm going to put it up here. It's for a project, but they were so grateful to have someone to tell their story to. When I asked more affluently dressed people to talk about poverty with me, I was barely acknowledged. I got good response from the youth, but hardly any from anybody else. I was on Michigan Ave, in downtown Chicago, and it was like I didn't even exist to some people. I was laughed at by others.
Do you know who all of those people that I talked to are going to vote for? OBAMA.


Let's look at what else McCain will do. Let's look, because you know, we may not be able to get abortions anymore, but we're going to be in some trouble.

www.BarackObama.com

www.johnmccain.com

I went to a talk held by one of the laypeople who works with the Mary Knoll organization to discuss the upcoming election. They gave us a handout, written by Catholics. I'm going to type the entire thing here for you.
(What comes after every little section was obviously not on the handout.)
Category:


-Dignity Of Work
John McCain- voted for the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007. Voted against past bills to increase minimum wage. Opposes the Employee Free Choice Act which would provide workers with greater protection and freedom in organizing unions.

Barack Obama-Voted for the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007 and supports indexing future wage increases to inflation. Supports the Employee Free Choice Act, which would provide workers with greater protection and freedom in organizing unions.

Elect an official who doesn't want to raise minimum wage and doesn't want unions? Sounds like an awesome, excellent, abortion free plan to me! (fail, McCain.)

-Economy
McCain- Supports tax cuts for those making more than $250,000, and increasing exemptions for dependants. Would maintain cuts to capital gains tax and cut corporate tax from 35% to 25%.

Obama- Supports tax cuts for the middle class, seniors and the poor by closing corporate tax loopholes. Opposes extending tax cuts for the wealthy. Supports tax code changes to eliminate abusive shelters and streamline the tax system.

hmm...I don't know about you, but I sure as heck am not making more than $250,000 per year. I'm sure those people dig the tax cuts, but trust me, I would too.

-Environment

McCain- Co-authored the Climate Stewardship Act of 2007, which would reduce carbon emission levels to 60% below the 1990 level. In 2005, voted against funding renewable energy and stands requiring 10% of electrical energy to come from renewable sources by 2020. Supported increasing fuel economy to 35 MPG.

Obama- Co-sponsored Climate Stewardship Act of 2007 and supports a stiffer 80% cut in carbon emissions. Supports investing $150 billion over ten years in renewable energy. Co-authored Fuel Economy Reform Act of 2007, calling for a 40 MPG fuel standard. Supports requiring 25% of all energy to come from renewable sources by 2025.


Education

McCain- Supports school competition and vouchers as ways to improve quality of education and give parents a choice in schools. Supports a high tax deduction for Education Savings Accounts and tax-deferred Family Security Accounts for higher education.

Obama- Supports charter schools and increasing teacher pay. Supports increasing Head Start and Early Start funding to over more at-risk children. Supports a $4,000 annual tax credit for higher education.

School competition? Ask any teacher you know and hear what they have to say about that.

Foreign Policy

McCain- Supporting continuing the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief and eradicating malaria in Africa. Encourages private philanthropy but has no position on the Millennium Development Goals. Supports the development of a missile defense system and supports reducing our nuclear stockpiles.

Obama- Supports funding the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief and eradicating malaria in Africa. Supports meeting the US commitment to the Millennium Development Goals. Supports expanding diplomatic corps. Opposes the development of a missile defense system and supports reducing our nuclear stockpiles.

Millennium Development Goals. If you don't know what they are, go and research them. We are halfway through the allotted time, and we have made no significant impact in our progress on them. Ridiculous.

Health Care

McCain- believes cost containment is the best way to expand access to healthcare. Supports tax credits for individuals who purchase their own health insurance and helping states create insurance pools for uninsured or hard to insure individuals.

Obama- Supports reforms that would ensure quality coverage for all. supports tax credits for low- and middle-income households to expand access to health coverage and market reforms to guarantee insurability.


Immigration

McCain- Believes border security is the "first and foremost priority." Co-sponsored 2006 immigration bill providing current immigrants with a path to citizenship that includes learning English and paying fines, strengthening border control and creating guest-worker program that issues visas after proof that a job cannot be filled by a US citizen. Voted to build a fence along the Mexican border.

Obama-Supports a path to citizenship that includes learning English, paying fines and legal protections against worker abuse. Supports expanding and simplifying the immigration process to encourage family reunification and meet demand for jobs employers cannot fill. Voted to build a fence along the Mexican border.

Iraq War

McCain- voted for the war in Iraq and supported the 2007 troop surge. Stated that "I would much rather lose a campaign than lose a war."

Obama- Pledges to withdraw all combat brigades from Iraq within 16 months. Stated in Oct. 2002: "I don't oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war."

wow. In all of the debates, etc. McCain keeps saying that we can win the war. We can't win the war. There was no goal in this war. We are fighting a concept. Terrorism isn't tangible. There is no gain, we are only spreading terror and fear and pain.

Life

McCain- Supports state level abortion bans except for rape, incest and risk to mother's life. In 2005, voted against expanding health services and education to reduce abortions. Supports the death penalty.

Obama- Opposes a federal ban on abortion. In 2005, voted to expand health services and education to reduce unintended pregnancy. Supports guaranteed paid maternity leave. Supports the death penalty but helped pass a law requiring taped confessions in order to reduce wrongful convictions.

hm....so McCain is all about the family but could care less about maternity leave?

Poverty

McCain- Authored legislation that requires HUD to gives abandoned housing units to community organizations. Supports HOME plan to offer federally backed fixed-rate mortgages to sub-prime borrowers in danger of foreclosure.

Obama- Co-sponsored a bill to create a National Affordable Housing Trust Fund to build 1.5 million units over 10 years. Authored legislation to allow those facing foreclosure to refinance with a federal guarantee and reduce mortgage company fraud. Was lead sponsor of the Global Poverty Act, which sets an agenda to cut extreme poverty by half by 2015.

McCain has 12 houses. What more do I need to say?

Material produced by Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good. Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good is an independent, nonpartisan, lay Catholic organization that promotes awareness of Catholic social teaching. Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good is not affiliated with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. (thank God).



Think before you vote. Don't just blindly follow the Catholic leaders. Please understand more than just the issue of gays and of abortion. There is so much more at stake here than the fight over genitals and who can do what with what they have. Gross, but so true. Just know that all of our futures depend on this election. I'm not even being melodramatic. Our economy is tanked, our world-wide reputation trashed, our politics laughed at, and worst of all, our infrastructure is in total chaos. College? Grad-school? Is that even going to be possible anymore?
Please. For everyone.

Do the right thing and don't vote right wing.



Ah, sorry about all of that. I know I'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but that's just not the way I fly.

Also, Fruit is the sweetest little brother ever. He's so very protective of me when it comes to boys and everything. He's so excited for me to come visit Greeley and hang out with him and I am sooo excited for him to come chill with me and all of my friends in Chicago. They love him and those who haven't met him can't wait to meet him and we need to make that happen. I appreciate that he's always there to look out for me, even when he's 1,000 miles away.
He's voting for Obama, by the way.

No comments: